Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday, January 29 2010 - The question of HRT

Nation...the medical media have been warning for years of the possible cancerous side effects from hormone replacement therapy, which is used to treat the symptoms of perimenopause and more so menopause. These warnings come after a generation of women were injected with the urine of pregnant mares (Premarin...sound familar?) as well as whatever else they deemed usable.

When I first started really having bad perimenopausal symptoms (like last summer - when my depression first reared it's horrible head), I tearfully dumped on an older friend (like 60ish) of mine at work about how I couldn't...correction WOULDN'T...ever use such a product. It seemed completely unethical in my mind, akin to eating veal. My friend told me that she, at around age 45, started HRT and although it was recommended at the time that treatment usage not exceed 5 years, she had been on for 11 years and had come thru perimenopause with no crappy symptoms and no ill side effects!

With my recent wave of mutterings, I was thinking about that conversation and maybe exploring some tea type productsmaybe using some holistic type of skin cream. My friend, last week at work, told me that during a recent pelvic exam cancerous cells were found in the lining of her uterus - she would undergo a full hysterectomy on Jan 29th.

I think I would rather face the possibility of depression than to ever use the HRT and then face potential cancer.

No comments: