Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - Survived Birthday #50

Nation - my long suffering family has once again managed to surprise me. While I did know that we'd be going to dinner (4-cheese pasta at Cheesecake Factory), I had asked for my favorite whipped cream cake from my ancient hometown (Newark, NJ) bakery "Royal Cake Box", which has since changed it's name to Supreme Bakery located to West Orange, NJ - and I did not see it in the icebox when I got home. I asked my husband did he happen to pick up the cake for me? "Why?" he asked. "Because I don't see it in the 'fridge" I answered. "I thought we were having cheesecake", he said. "Yes, but, since we had talked about the cake, I thought you guys may have picked one up" I responded. But then thought no more about it.

We had dinner, and took cheesecake slices to go. Went to bookstore next door and picked up #6 in my current Outlander series: "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" and went home. Then in the driveway the husband remembers his prescription, "here go pick it up" he said to me. "I'll wait for you to come with me" I say. We go in. My daughter is telling me I'm underfoot, get away from her; she was trying to stuff the cheesecake slices in thr 'fridge with the leftovers. So I went to the bathroom.

When I came out, house in total darkness. My husband, daughter and her boyfriend are in the kitchen singing "Happy Birthday" while my whipped cream cake, with the "5" and "0" candles, along with a giant "The Big 5-0" balloon are in the dining room! I was totally surprised. Also, got a pair of nice warm Uggs Lug-soled clogs in chocolate (of course)!



Cake was in the 'fridge the whole time (damn my eyes). I'd never get through anything without those guys at home! They are the reason I was born.

Happy birthday to me.

No comments: