Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - Another Day, Another Doctor

Nation...it is post-Halloween, post-Election, post-everything. Today is today and I move ever closer to a normal life.

I was given the name of several endocrinologists in this area: one sounds fantastic, however, he is in his 80s and not in my health network (translation: $345 for initial visit, and $55-125 for each follow-up). I love the really old doctors, though. They put their hands on you and can almost "divine" what's wrong on the inside. They aren't afraid of actually practicing medicine. I've had four like that, but they are all dead. Stupid aging process.

The second one is a woman, but the current patient doesn't care for her manner or the disorganization in the office. I looked her up on RateYourDoctor.com, and out of 5 she scored a 4.1. I couldn't find her in my health network, although the patient states she is.

The third is also a woman, a Russian, and has split with her former practice (I already am intrigued). In addition to having an MD, she is also a DO (osteopath) so she's not afriad of medicine or holistic practice (that's 2 points) AND she is in network (bingo!...trifecta...hat trick...a 3-pointer from way downtown...<-insert your favorite saying regarding the #3).

So I guess you can tell I've made my decision. It was difficult to contact her as the insurance company had the wrong number printed in the listing. The remaining practitioners have moved out of Bergen to Morris, so when I made contact there, I did make an appointment. I'll just cancel now that I found her correct phone number. Very exciting.

Had my review at work; while all the crap has been running downhill like a Southeast-Asian mudslide, my boss is apparently happy with the work I produce despite my complete lack of sense or confidence. She's out this morning so I'm taking this opportunity to address all of you today.

I saw someone yesterday at a research facility (where I avail my skin for patch-testing and money) whom I hadn't seen in a while. While our daughters were in 8th grade they played softball together, but I've known her most of the time I was here in Bergen as she was best friends with the girlfriend of my husband's then best friend (1985). She is about 2-3 years older than I, however, time and illness has taken a toll. She was diagnosed with emphysema in 1999-2000, but now is in early stage leukemia, and gets blood transfusions for her marrow. She has lost 50 pounds since this diagnosis 2 years ago.

While leukemia is not rare, it is the second case I personally know of in my friend universe and in the same town!! My husband's friend, also a few years older than us, was diagnosed with leukemia about 3 years ago. What is going on in my town/county??

Just when I thought I was ill enough with perimenopause to complain, along comes real illness.

How you like me now?

No comments: