Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 - Epiphany!

Two things to cover first: 1. My hair sucks; it doesn't do anything but bounce around my head; I wish I could use a blowdryer. But the blond now is not so brassy, and that's always good; 2. My Thai Yoga Massage intro on Saturday in NYC was very interesting. I have watched some youtubes of the massage in action, but did not realize until I had to perform on a partner just how much strength is needed to perform these massages. I was totally sore the next day! Not just arms and hands but legs, back, etc. I had three (3) different partners and each was built differently, which is important so you get to feel what different body types feel like. One of my partners commented that I was "very strong" and that was good; but mostly I sort of held back because I always think I'm going to do something wrong. No confidence in myself still at this age.
My main partner reminded me of the first yama (or rule) of yoga: ahimsa, which is to do no harm to any living creature. Apparently this includes myself, so I have to stop beating myself up. Strange how I never thought of that.

Onto my epiphany... Perhaps it was the 3 yoga massages I received from 3 partners that opened my sen lines for better blood flow to the brain, but I came to a very sound conclusion on Sunday about my depression and all the other things that have been out of wack with the perimenopause. About 4 months ago, after a visit to a farm animal sanctuary in Woodstock, NY, I wanted to do my part and stop drinking milk in protest over treatment of dairy cows at commercial dairies. So I started using soymilk in smoothies and breakfast shakes. I noticed some extra gas at first, but that passed! (HaHa - sorry) I digress...

I've been doing a lot of internet research, as many of you know, regarding perimenopause symptoms and their treatment. It seems that it is more the loss of progesterone that makes for the crazy woman I have become: estrogen overload or dominance. Well, add to that physical condition another 16oz of soymilk - which is a phyto-estrogen - and you get a raving lunatic who could literally slit someone's throat and walk away to wash up.

I had stopped drinking soy milk when we went up to see the family before Labor Day (they don't drink it there) so I've been soy-free since Aug 25. The difference I feel physically is nothing short of amazing. I cannot believe that something as healthy as soymilk could have easily turned me into a remorseless serial killer who could cry over the political climate in this country.

So I'm off the soy until I'm actually menopausal, when I'll be needing all the estrogen I can get.

No comments: