Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - New Gyno, New Outlook?

Nation - It's been a while since I was taken seriously by a physician. My experience has been that they want to do tons of diagnostics (sometimes quite painful) and tell you, "Well, everything is within normal range. Call back for a recheck in 3 months." "Thanks, here's my copay. I'm going home to slit my wrists now."

Dr. Vinod is the first doctor who actually sat and talked at length with me before she ever put a hand into an orifice. "How can I help you? What brings you here today?" I rambled about everything from the death of my parents 20 years ago, to my brother's death last year, the fights with my boss in January and April of this year, my 45 pound weight gain over two years, changes in exercise habits, the dabbling in yoga, Thai massage, ayurvedic healing, etc.

Can I pick a shot in the dark, or what? The woman's brother is a yoga teacher in India at an ashram (it's like a secluded community where you are fully immersed in a teaching. Probably like boarding school). She's older than me, so could understand every nuance of what I had to say about my symptoms. She talked to me about what stress can do to hormones of healthy young people, so in a woman at my point in life, my hormones are in upheaval without stress.

The big thing she confirmed for me, and I forget whether I have addressed this previously on this blog, was the soy milk issue. In June I switched to soy milk to protest the treatment of cows at commercial dairies. Within two weeks I was a serial killer looking for a victim. I told the doctor about this and that I had done some research on the internet. Is it true that soy is an estrogen? "Of course", she stated quite confidently. There was my answer. The entire summer I was stockpiling estrogen into my already estrogen-soaked shell.

Without getting into the what happened next and my actual medical history (HIPAA laws prevent me from revealing such information, plus I don't wanna get caught on the internet when my boss comes in) it was a very good appointment, and I'm glad I finally went.

The moral of the story: perimenopausal women (especially those that are estrogen dominant) should STAY OFF THE SOY! Wait until you are post menopausal when you need the estrogen.

No comments: